Saturday, January 29, 2011

What have you done for hip hop in Modesto!!!!



I remember being in high school (a long time ago) and wondering why there weren't any hip hop shows out here in Modesto I could really be happy about. My friends and I would cypher and talk about going to the Mystic Journeymen show or seeing the Earthlings perform. The thought of having a real hip hop scene in Modesto just seemed like a dream. As I grew a little older and got turntables, a couple of friends and I, started to Dj at a local bar. Even then, it was hard to gather enough solid heads to keep it moving. Cobalt has had ups and downs in this community. There has been some faulty shit that has had his name attached to it in previous years. Things can get distorted if you don't know the whole story, but, though all the trials, COBALT remains steady with his dedication to hip hop in Modesto. For this I give him praise. Many gave up on hip hop long ago. As a Dj I feel the weight. Do I play what people want to hear, what will make them dance. Popular music. Or do I stay true to my love. I respect COBALT for not only putting his money and time on the line, but, staying true to his love of the culture.

How many cats has COBALT put on?
How many rap acts have COBALT helped feed?
How many shows has COBALT went to out of respect for the movement?
How many other cats are throwing RAP shows in Modesto that don't have guns drawn and fist fight?

Help support the cause! Show up to COBALT 45 Record Release Party out of respect for a dude that is keeping our dream of having a hip hop scene in Modesto as well as the valley.

Joe-Perksun-Crush Congregation

1 comment:

  1. you the man joe! I Strive to keep hip hop alive in the 209 for ALL OF US <--- peace to everyone who's noticed & appreciated over the last few years.. we dont wanna quit now after coming so far! Saturday February 19th will be a night to remember!

    ReplyDelete